Holiday time is usually a time for relaxation and fun. Whether you’re on holiday in the UK or abroad. Take a few minutes to ‘think safe’ whilst you are on holiday so that you only return with pleasant memories. Below are some basic safety measures which you can adopt in order to make sure you house is safe while you are away.
Before you go away make sure your house is fire safe:-
- Test your smoke alarms before you go and when you get back.
- Switch off and unplug all electrical appliances that will not be used whilst you are on holiday.
- Make sure all gas appliances are turned off, empty all rubbish bins and ashtrays.
- Close all internal doors before you leave the house - if there’s a fire whilst you are away the smoke alarm may alert a neighbour or passer by, closing the doors will stop the fire from spreading causing less damage.
- Remember to turn off the water at the mains and let a relative, friend or neighbour know that you are going away, if possible leave a key with them.