Are your cables all tangled together in a disorganised heap under your desk? Or perhaps you are still putting off organising the wires hiding behind your TV?
Tangled wires are not just notoriously difficult to manage, they can also be very dangerous and electrically unsafe if all the wear and tear causes damage to the protective layers or if any of the live wire becomes exposed. This could mean that you are putting yourself at an increased risk of an electric shock or worse.
Here are our top tips to help you keep all your cables in check:
- Take a look online for some great cable management kits that come complete with storage boxes, cable clips, cable holders, cable sleeves etc.
- Don’t want to spend the cash? No worries, there are plenty of DIY tutorials on the internet to help you make your own cable management tools like homemade charging stations and cable sleeves or blog posts detailing how to reuse common household items such as wooden pegs!
- Labeling your wires can make finding them later an absolute breeze. Instead of having to trace back every single cable back to the source to figure out which is which, labeling them at both ends will help you know what you’re unplugging so you don’t end up unplugging the wrong machine!
- Storing away your cables? Try toilet rolls for an easy DIY creation to help hold and organise all the wires in a tangle free fashion! Then simply write a label on the toilet roll and you’re good to go!
- Make sure you aren’t daisy chaining your cables as this could make managing them tedious and confusing. Not only this, but plugging extension cords into extension cords is highly dangerous and could lead to an electric accident or fire if you accidentally overload your sockets from too much current running through the leads.
If you are unsure about an installation, need advice or assistance please contact PC Electricals. We also have more electrical safety tips on our website www.pcelectricals-dorset.co.uk Facebook or Twitter pages.